Tuesday, July 22, 2014

This land is your land

In part this post is just a quasi-official, on the record, symbolic passing of the torch. I really do want Collo to be yours and I really do want it to work. I remember saying when I interviewed for this position that my nightmare was for one of you to ask what the point of Collo was and for me to not have an answer. I believe one way to make it relevant, useful and less redundant is to give some power and control of the course to you. I'm happy to play the Pete Seeger role. I can strum G,C, and D and call out the verses, but you have to sing. So there's that.

The other point of the post is to say to Midways and FPAs, this class is your class too. I think it sometimes happens that UHS folks dominate these discussions (note: not a criticism, still love you all). But it's your class, too, and you may have different ideas/wants/needs for the class. Midways, you tend to be older and don't need to be treated like freshmen, but you are also new to the university and to the program, so you also don't need to be treated like you've been here for two years. You have less time together as a cohort than those in other programs. You likely have other unique needs. If there is something that you think would be helpful or beneficial for you, let me know. Same thing for FPAs. What can we do in Collo that would be beneficial to you in particular?

Part of the goal of Collo is to bring everyone from all of our programs (minus HIDs) together, but that doesn't mean we can't also tailor some things to better suit your individual and collective wants and needs. I can't do that if I don't know what those are, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment